In major emergencies or conflict situations, a variety of individuals, groups and organizations provide assistance to people affected by the crisis, including military and security forces.
The attached Humanitarian Civil-Military Coordination Guide was developed specifically for the military to:
- Provide an overview of humanitarian action and the related principles (Chapter I);
- Introduce the various humanitarian actors and their mandates (Chapter II);
- Explain what they do and how they coordinate (Chapter III);
- Outline their security mechanisms (Chapter IV); and
- Highlight how the military can best interact with, support and complement humanitarian assistance (Chapters V).
This guide can be located here: OCHA – Humanitarian CivMil Coordination